Saturday, April 02, 2005

Why am I a liar?

Hi,

This is Ravi Teja R. (Just in case, if you wanted to know.) Now, let me tell you why I chose such a title for my blog. "I AM A LIAR" is a paradox (Something that leads to opposite proofs, I guess.) That becomes obvious if you try to trace the true meaning (true sense, rather) of such a simple statement. If I may, let me put forward the two possible ways of thinking to this :

1. The statement is a truth : If I said that I am a liar and if I really am a liar, that would mean that I said the truth, which in turn means that I am not a liar after all (Contradicting my first statement.)

2. The statement is a lie: If I said that I am a liar an if what I said was a lie, then I must be someone who tells the truth. But if I am someone who tells the truth, my first statement that I am a liar is a lie, which would make me a liar.

The only other possible way that I can explain this is that the opposite of a lie might not be a truth; it might be a partial truth. So, if I may not be a total liar (as most of us aren't total liars), I may tell some truths occasionally; that occasion being my first statement. So, what I did was invent a loop-hole for the statement. The main problem with a loop-hole is that it makes the statement lose its strength completely; the statement would not have a real 'kick' (figuratively speaking) anymore. I may tell you that I am a liar and still tell a truth because I am not contradicting what I said (remember, that in such case my statement is a partial truth.)

I still strongly believe that there is something more to this statement and its loop-hole than meets the eye; it really wants some more logical insight. Before signing off, a little food for thought (another paradox):

"THE LOSER WINS"

Ravi Teja R.

No comments: