Saturday, November 12, 2005

Why did Man invent God?

Thanks for coming back. If you didn’t know earlier, let me tell you in advance that I am an atheist and assure you that I shall remain so until further notice. This time around, I’m thinking about why we men (and women) invented ‘god’, which is something that is as intangible as ‘love’ or ‘fear’, but very less perceivable when compared to these. How could the majority of people (assuming that atheists are a minority) have such a very singular notion? Maybe god really invented (or created) man and not vice-versa; after all 80% (a wild guess) of the people can’t be wrong! As I stressed before in my blog, there are no definitive ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers to questions; most of them are ‘maybe’.

We human beings are in an eternal quest to understand everything; we want everything to make sense. In that pursuance, we naturally encounter many things that do not make sense. So, how do we proceed? I learnt that Mathematicians give such things arbitrary names such as ‘x’ or ‘y’ until their actual ‘value’ or ‘meaning’ is found out. We, being very analytic creatures, applied the same principle for our quest too.

As a result, whenever we encountered something inexplicable by any one of us, we placed it a set of unknowns: the ‘god’ set. It was a natural escape route for us to give an answer to all those questions we didn’t have a logical answer for; just attribute it god – no questions asked. So, in early days of man, the ‘god’ set, comprised a lot of things. As time progressed, we found out reasons for many things like ‘Gee… Lightning is caused by oppositely charged particles; god has nothing to do with it, after all’. Naturally, we decreased the size of the ‘god’ set.

This leads us to many questions: Will a time come when all stuff will make sense? Will god be no longer necessary then? My answer is ‘no’. My brother (who, by co-incidence, is, in quest of god) read somewhere a quote: ‘As knowledge increases, ignorance unfolds’. So, when we learn something new, we realize that there are many others still to be learnt and understood, which would be attributed to god. Hence, the ‘god’ set continually increases and decreases but never can become void.

Thus, in a quest for answers, we needed something that could give a ‘don’t-ask-any-more-questions’ kind of an answer for unanswerable questions. That is why we invented god. Why do I ask such questions and try to answer them? : god knows why.

Bye-bye,

Ravi Teja R.

11 comments:

tSUNamI said...

Nice Post..
In totally unrelated matter - Feels comforting to see another person blogging on the eve of exams. Thanks to you I have postponed starting studies for semester by another day. Ciao.

Anonymous said...

i wanted to quote some verses in the bible to prove the existence of God. however, that would encourage endless religion debates, which am not so keen in handling.

don't get me wrong, i do respect your choice to be an atheist. "free will, God's gift to men."

just look at this way, science has yet to defy the existence of God, meaning, there is God, whether we like it or not.

btw, man did not invent GOD, GOD INVENTED MAN...

Ravi Teja R said...

tsunami - Extremely happy to help. Anytime, my friend, anytime.

deity - i strictly believe in the laws of science and refuse to believe anything that is neither proved or disproved by them... my 'motto' is: everything is false unless proved otherwise... and btw, i never said man invented god... i just said 'maybe'...

The Ranting Human said...

But for some others, god isn't there as an answer to stuff we don't have an answer to yet... There are people who look toward a 'god' for more selfish reasons... It's funny how a 'maybe' fictional character can screw up people's minds.

Ravi Teja R said...

selfish reasons? pray, do continue...

The Ranting Human said...

Well, I know certain people who aren't looking for answers when they say they believe in a god. They're looking for miracles, involving only themselves. An old friend of mine prays to a 'god' every day asking for the same thing - Make me richer than the richest person. I remember telling her that if she does become richer than the richest person, in terms of monetary wealth, she might just convert an unbeliever.

To people like her, 'god' is just someone who's able to grant their wishes. They don't give a shit about why we're here and all that jazz.

Sandeep said...

It a very interesting topic...I dont belive in idolatry worship...I think people invented god to set examples on how we should live and to put something good on their minds and prevent people heading to curroption, and as you said, man may have created god...but for ethical reasons and moral gratifiction...

Anonymous said...

we have a joint poem on my site, would you like to join?

Anonymous said...

god is all pervasive.man did not invent god in the first place

no one attributes unknown things to god ok.

Anonymous said...

its very bad.u being a brahmin....dont even know that "man didnt invent god".shame on u and ur brother

Anonymous said...

you know its funny i was searching the web under "God why am I here?" and I came to this blog. I know now I am here to Follow God's plan. And seek the lost. the question "Why did Man invent God?" the answer is God is and always will be. my proof ten years ago I tried to take me life no one knew with the amount of pills and booze I took I should be dead! but God let me live. a few months ago I was working late and a officer tapped my window and showed me my store was about to get hit and judging by the shotgun I had little to no chance to live.so i ask look through your own life and you will see that something has happend in your life or a love ones that you may call luck or may call wierd. I bet it was God working. When you think your the furthest away he is near.